Everyone hits rock bottom, only the brave escape.
Welcome to 1314 Rattlesnake Road.
A quaint two-bedroom log cabin nestled deep in the woods of the small, southern town of Berry Springs—the perfect hideaway to escape your past.
Tucked inside thick, mahogany walls lay mysterious letters, forgotten and untouched for decades. Floor-to-ceiling windows frame breathtaking views of jagged cliffs, deep valleys, and endless lies. Mature oak trees, tall enough to touch the clouds, carry the whispers of the haunted, of stories untold
Inside sits Grey Dalton, emotionally battered and bruised, her only wish to pick up the broken pieces of her life. But outside, await two men, one a tattooed cowboy, the other a dashing businessman.
One will steal her heart, the other, her soul.
Rattlesnake Road is a standalone mystery romance about love, loss, hitting rock bottom, and clawing your way to the other side.
Your escape awaits…
I….. didn’t see any of THAT coming…?!
Okay, starting from the first chapter, this book starts on a REALLY HIGH NOTE! Details and events that are displayed churned my stomach and broke my heart simultaneously. I felt for Grey.
What did I like?
- Declan. Forget like, I love him. What a freaking man. (Except for the feet fungus. That was hilarious though. )
- Engaging story. Though the first half had up and downs, the story was beautifully crafted. I loved McKinney’s writing style. There was an obvious distinction between all her characters. The imagery used was just, beautiful. Starting from Grey’s new house to Declan’s property to the little bridge that connected their land. (So, you can imagine how Amanda was able to clench my heart through my chest when things went bad in the book.)
- Angst between Grey and Declan. Two polar opposites. I love that trope.
- Dialogues. Do I have to say more?
- The amount of research. From gardening to essential oil distillery to tornados?!
- Serenity bear. Just, ah… the back story behind that tied it all together.
- Murder mystery of the young girl and the letters that Grey found. It piqued my interest in the book. For a part of the book, I thought there would have been no resolution but the ending took me by surprise.
- Depiction of mental health & alcoholism. Not very easy to do justice to such deep topics.
- The COVER!
What I didn’t like?
- Grey. Her actions just pissed me off. (That could just be a compliment to how real the character was and her struggles.- Revealing the real killer and his REASONS left a distaste in my mouth. I don’t think his actions should’ve been justified in any way.
Overall, I enjoyed the book. I would most definitely be checking out more of the author’s books.
My Rating: It’s a 4.5/5.
Content Notices: Miscarriage, Adultery, Violence/Self Harm, Alcohol Abuse, Questionable (rape?) sexual encounter, Murder of an animal in the past ( bares no relation to the MC), & Murder of a little girl in the past, ( bares no relation to the MC).
Pages: 419, Kindle Edition
Meet the Author:
Amanda McKinney is the bestselling and multi-award-winning author of more than fifteen romantic suspense and mystery novels. Her latest book, Rattlesnake Road, was named one of POPSUGAR’s 12 Best Romance Books to Have a Spring Fling With, and was featured on the Today Show. The fifth book in her Steele Shadows series, Jagger (Steele Shadows Investigations), was recently nominated for the prestigious Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense.
Amanda wrote her debut novel, LETHAL LEGACY in 2017, after walking away from her career to become a writer and stay-at-home mom. Her books include the bestselling series, STEELE SHADOWS SECURITY, the multi-award-winning BERRY SPRINGS series, BLACK ROSE MYSTERIES, and many more to come.
Set in small, Southern towns, Amanda’s books are page-turning murder mysteries peppered with steamy romance She lives in Arkansas with her handsome husband, two beautiful boys, and three obnoxious dogs.
Text AMANDABOOKS to 66866 to receive Amanda’s newsletter and get the latest on new releases, promos, and freebies!
Visit her website at www.amandamckinneyauthor.com
Follow Amanda on Instagram at www.instagram.com/amandamckinneyauthor
Follow Amanda on Facebook at www.facebook.com/amandamckineyauthor
I received a complimentary advance review copy, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.