Redemption: The act of being saved from sin, error, or evil.
Antiques dealer by day, secret painter by night, Rory Flanagan arrives home to find a man, battered and bruised, sprawled out on her newly upholstered Victorian sofa. The brash, six-foot-four stranger takes an unusual interest in Rory’s vintage gold pendant—given to Rory by her mother the day she was killed.
They say Christian Locke is a loner, an orphan, a mysterious cowboy the small-town gossips deem an outsider. They tell her to stay away. But Rory can’t ignore the connection she feels to the mulish recluse, or the interest he has in the cursed necklace she wears around her neck.
Christian says he doesn’t believe in fate, but every twist and turn of the pendant’s story seems to lead her to the same place…
Welcome to Redemption Road.
Your secrets are not safe here.
I was pleased to be provided with an ARC from the author after reading Rattlesnake Road. (Which is pretty much my favorite book so far!) Thank you Amanda for the ARC. All thoughts are of my own.
Let’s get down to it then.
What did I like?
– Writing style. Amanda’s a wordsmith!
– Depiction of mental health and eating disorders.
– Twists and turns in the book. Very engaging for sure.
– Unique characters.
– Coming full circle. (The necklace)
What could’ve been better?
– Overall the book ended on a very wholesome note, but the resolution in regards to the killer left me unsatisfied. (At around 75%-80% mark of the book.) I wish there was more to it than just a scene used to pique my interest.
– Rory’s behavior towards Jake at the cemetery. I couldn’t come to terms with the term of events. I wish there was an explanation
– I admire the author’s attempt to tie up every loose end with an explanation, but real people don’t always get the answer to every question asked.
– There was a teaser in Rattlesnake Road in regards to Christian, I wish Grey and Declan had made an appearance in this one too. Freaking love Declan…
Overall, it’s a wonderful book. Very well written with an intense plot.
My Rating: It’s a 3.8/5.
Content Notices: Death, (attempted) suicide, visceral description of a dead body, suicidal thoughts, ED
Audience: Young Adult
Pages: 418, Kindle Edition
Disclaimer: If you use my links, it won’t cost you anything extra, but I will receive a very small percentage of any sales. Every little bit helps, though, so thank you very much if you do! 🙂
Meet the Author:
Amanda McKinney is the bestselling and multi-award-winning author of more than fifteen romantic suspense and mystery novels. Her latest book, Rattlesnake Road, was named one of POPSUGAR’s 12 Best Romance Books to Have a Spring Fling With, and was featured on the Today Show. The fifth book in her Steele Shadows series, Jagger (Steele Shadows Investigations), was recently nominated for the prestigious Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense.
Amanda wrote her debut novel, LETHAL LEGACY in 2017, after walking away from her career to become a writer and stay-at-home mom. Her books include the bestselling series, STEELE SHADOWS SECURITY, the multi-award-winning BERRY SPRINGS series, BLACK ROSE MYSTERIES, and many more to come.
Set in small, Southern towns, Amanda’s books are page-turning murder mysteries peppered with steamy romance She lives in Arkansas with her handsome husband, two beautiful boys, and three obnoxious dogs.
I received a complimentary advance review copy, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.